Monday, September 26, 2011

Convention Stories

Joseph Asbury
Far Western Region Associate Student Representative, 2011
Utah State University

Beyond Words.  That could be an appropriate description of my experience at the convention.  The members of our chapter had never been to the convention before, so we really had no idea what to expect.  

Our brave troop went on to enjoy the four day convention.  

I attended the Leadership Workshop, and I could not be more pleased that I did.  The workshop gave me a lot of ideas about how to make the Rho Tau chapter more active in the community and within the English majors and minors.

The Bad Poetry Contest was a highlight.  All three students from our chapter presented a poem.  I enjoyed the contest in its entirety.  I can see why the contest is a favorite from year to year.  

The panels enlightened me.  I had no idea that there would be such a selection from which to choose.  The topics appealed to people from across all disciplines of English.

The experience I had at the convention allows me to extol the virtues of Sigma Tau Delta.  Seeing the society operate as a worldwide community helps me better clarify to my school why Sigma TD is such a great organization.  People come to discuss and present what interests them.  Opportunities abound for making new friends and new insights into the world.  If all that fails, being a member of an international honor society looks good on a resume.  

No comments:

Post a Comment