Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Board Meeting Reflections Part 2

Amy Woody
Eastern Region Student Representative, 2011-2012
Westfield State University

All that Jazz

What happens at a Board meeting? It's a legitimate question. I had never been to a Board meeting before. Will I have to speak? Will I get to vote? These were all questions I had on my mind when I boarded the plane to go to the Sigma Tau Delta Board meeting in New Orleans.

As it turns out, Board meetings are kind of awesome. The first portion of our time in New Orleans was spent attending committee meetings. This was one of my favorite parts. I remember a moment at the Pittsburgh convention when someone was explaining how being a student leader really gives you the opportunity to have a say in important matters regarding the organization. This is without a doubt true! Every committee chair was so interested in what the students had to say and so eager to hear if the students had any ideas. Students really do have a voice in this organization; realizing that was pretty incredible.

New Orleans, by the way, is full of personality. The food's delicious, the people are hospitable, and the jazz is everywhere. We spent time riding the street car through the city, meeting locals and other tourists, and just looking at houses so characteristic of New Orleans.

Though I am happy to be home with my family, I miss New Orleans because there is something electric about being with a group of like-minded individuals who want to work with you to achieve common goals. There is also something comforting about being with fellow English nerds. Who else is willing to chat with me about Baudrillard while sauntering down the streets of New Orleans? No one.

Is it February yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment